12 November 2013

Fruit Trees, Bamboo Battles, etc. Vrugtebome, Rateltaai Bamboes ens.


Identifying a bed for Fruit Trees


My dreams of partial self-sufficiency did not just stretch as far as a small vegetable patch and a few Num-Nums or Natal Plums. Oh no, I wanted two or three, or more, fruit trees as well. Yes, I did plant a Japanese Quince and a Cherry Guava early on, but I wanted less exotic fruit as well. Fruit we ate a lot, like apples. 

Realising this dream proved more difficult than anticipated. The various obstacles to my plan included space, shade and too many other useless trees and shrubs. A plan of action had to be worked out of course, and that would start with the Swamp Cypress...

De-branching the Swamp Cypress


As I discussed in my post on container gardening, I have a bit of a space problem. Not only because I have an urban garden, but also due to the already established trees in it. The biggest thorn in my side is our Swamp Cypress. It is a beautiful tree, but the parents and I receive endless complaints about how it covers a substantial part of our street in a carpet of orange leaves in autumn and winter. The complaints generally come from the very same people who park in its shade in summer. Such is life. The other problem is how massive it is, both in canopy and root size. Therefore a few roots, and all the lower branches had to go. 
1 Sep 2013 - Before picture of the Swamp Cypress/ en die toekomstige vrugteboom bedding

 The first part of this mammoth task was to get rid of the branches. This part wasn't as tough as expected. The next part of the task would prove to be the back-breaker, though.
15 Sep 2013 -New and improved Swamp Cypress

The second part was to remove the biggest cypress roots in the bed I wanted to use for my fruit trees. This had to wait awhile though, since there were some bamboo reeds and ferns to get rid of first. Ai!!!

Getting rid of Bamboo and Ferns

2 Sep 2013 - The bamboo bush in all its glory

Major drama! Sweat, more sweat, and even a little blood was involved, but luckily no tears. A process that started early October...
4 Nov 2013 - Almost done decimating the bamboo

   ... and only finished early November. 7 November 2013 to be exact; a date of celebration...
7 Nov 2013 - The end; just landfill remaining
Needless to say; I will NEVER plant bamboo again. Ever! 
Bamboo/Bamboes? Never again/Nooit weer nie!!!

Composting the Apple and Kumquat Bed


The last part, but by no means the least, was preparing the bed for my fruit trees. A process I only finished with mid-November. I blame those bloody bamboo reeds! Luckily I had a few companions to keep me occupied while doing this. Not only the mom and granny, but also a few Cape Wagtails (Motacilla capensis), or Kwikkies as we know them in Afrikaans:
A Cape Wagtail keeping me company/'n Kwikkie hou my geselskap

 Choosing Fruit Trees for my Urban Garden


What type of fruit? Which cultivar? What size? Questions, questions... Two of my favourite nurseries Norgarivier Kwekery/Nursery and George Kwekery/Nursery convinced me I needed two apple trees for a successful harvest. Hence, I bought two. A Granny Smith and a Golden Delicious. They are apparently excellent cross-pollinators. See, apples are so fussy you can't even plant two of the same type. No sir, you need two different cultivars. 

The other fruit tree I settled on was a kumquat. The granny and I are major fans, although the rest of the family isn't too keen. Well, space being the problem that it is, forced my hand really. I wanted something smallish, hardy and useable. Kumquat it will be. Once again, thanks to the wonderful Norgarivier Nursery on the Airport road near George.
Sep 2013 - The original spot for the Kumquat

The Planting


Unfortunately I've had to make a tough decision. Alas, our garden only has space for one apple tree (barely). Hopefully the Golden Delicious will find a nice spot in a friend's garden. The Granny Smith I'm definitely keeping. Luckily I've read that said apple trees are self-fertile. Yes, it will fruit better with another apple to cross-pollinate with, but I would get to harvest delicious Granny's with one tree as well. The kumquat will maar have to be its neighbour shame.
Oct 2013 - Die Granny Smith Appelboompie
I hope all the hours of back-breaking work and the endless amount of blisters, scrapes and bruises will be worth it. Somehow I think it will. And here are the results of the (semi-) finished bed:
12 Nov 2013 - Fruit bed/Vrugte Bedding

Fltr - Granny Smith, Boysenberry, Kumquat
I decided on chives and lavender as companion plants to my apple, blackberry and kumquat. Apparently most pests detest the strong fragrance of these plants. I planted chives around the apple and kumquat and a row of French lavenders on the edge of the bed. 

Do you believe in Companion Planting, or use it at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment