7 October 2014

Soul Food: Crust-less Bacon and Leek Quiche. Sielskos: Korslose Prei en Spek Souttert

Food is one of my biggest passions... as I think was made clear in my previous post on soul food. Now, with the country being obsessed with the Banting-based Tim Noakes diet, it seems that everyone feels guilty about eating. Yes, I have also tried to cut back on carbs, but I think food is to be celebrated, not regretted. Heck, if you celebrate food by overloading on fat and protein, that's great too.

Bacon & Leek Quiche/Prei & Spek Souttert*


Who ever thought something with as fancy a name as "quiche" could be so simple to make? I follow the principle of throwing ingredients together until it kind of resembles what I'm trying to make, with a recipe as a starting off point. Do you also find it easier to remember made-up recipes than book recipes? I certainly do!

I'm taking liberties in posting this recipe on my blog, as pretty much everything was store-bought. Since I don't live on a farm it's pretty much impossible to make my own cheese and such, but one main ingredient came straight from my backyard vegetable patch. You guessed it; leeks!
Leeks being sautéed in butter/Preie word gesautée in botter
Quiche Recipe (serves 6):

500g chopped leeks/gekapte preie
500g sliced bacon/repies spek
200g cheddar cheese/kaas
8 eggs/eiers
150ml slightly whipped cream/liggeklopte room
2 tbsp butter/botter
1 tsp thyme/tiemie
salt and ground pepper to taste/sout en peper na smaak

Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
Sauté leeks in the butter
Add bacon to leeks and lightly fry
Mix the cheese, eggs and cream together and whip lightly
Add all the ingredients to a large glass pan
Bake for approximately 35mins

The recipe is easily adaptable. Simply add more bacon for a meatier taste or more cheese and leeks (instead of the bacon) for a vegetarian twist. 

Have you ever tried to make a quiche?


*As this quiche is crust-less, it is Tim Noakes friendly

No comments:

Post a Comment